Monday 24 May 2010

Orkney, May 2010

Orkney is a beautiful place that we have visited several times. It has a history that spans centuries and that history is apparent around every corner.

This collection of photographs takes as its theme the profusion of visible artefacts that lie in the countryside, that sit just off the main streets of the modern towns. Orkney is a contemporary, living, breathing place but these artefacts are a reminder of the fishing, farming, military and social history of the islands. Each item has a story to tell and I hope that thoughts about their human histories can be imagined from these photographs.

































3 comments:

Paul said...

Love those pictures Andy, particularly the last one of the street scene. I always find a winding street surrounded by buildings very mysterious and yet inviting at the same time as I wonder where it leads to.

Lynn Webber said...

Beautiful evocative photos Andy. I love the rich colours and textures of the old chains and ropes, and the blue flaking paint on the K992 Also the Daliesque dial on the Beckmeter. It's nice to know these reminders of the past are still there for those with eyes and a camera to see. Vive decrepitude!

you-wee because said...

Hi Andy!

Your photos whet my appetite for a trip along the Britsh coast line from Cornwall via Northumberland and Scotland up to the Orkneys - together with my sweetheart and my camera (of course!)! ;-)
Similar to you I'm addicted to everything which has to do with coastal area and mood, although I live far away from the shore in the south of Germany... ;-(
But as soon as circumstances allow we go seaside.
You never know: someday I hopefully spend my vacation somewhere at a British coastal area??? On the track of Andy Craig? (It rhymes...! ;-)