Tuesday 26 May 2009

A week in Lewis

We went to Lewis in the Outer Hebrides as I have wanted to return since I was there when I was 3! I knew I had family roots on my Mum's side and had a thought that I might look up the family history if it was too wet to do anything else.

In fact, after a couple of hours in the genealogy centre, I found my grandfather's cousin and was able to visit the family's house and the site of the croft (now part of Stornoway airport). I met such lovely people who were so accommodating and friendly that it was quite an emotional journey. Click Here to find these and some more photos from the trip set to a piece of music I wrote for the occasion.

Dailbeag bay, one on many beautiful spots on the West coast



One phrase I will never forget from the trip. "the sky is darker than the land"



Siabost bay (Shawbost)



Trooper loved the beaches - Trooper loves all beaches




Sunset over Siabost crofting community where we were staying



The stones at Calanais early one morning. A very impressive ancient monument.




Inside the walls of the broch at Carlabhagh (Carloway)


The colours in the sea are very special around the strands at Harris.


Life moves at its own pace on the island.




This painting belonged to my Grandfather's cousin's wife Isabella and was painted by her brother. It represents her grandmother's Blackhouse. The islanders lived in such houses until the 20th century, as late as the 1970s in some cases and maintained a subsistence lifestyle crofting and fishing. Isabella could remember visiting her Grandmother's house and was a great story-teller. We could have stayed for hours.



Gearrannan is a village of reconstructed blackhouses.


The lighthouse at An Rubha on the East of the island.


Changeable weather looking towards Berneray and North Uist from Harris.

No comments: